In recent years further remedial work has been carried out on the church but the interior remains as it was designed in 1988. Today as we look around St. Patrick’s we are reminded that it is a place of devotion to God and a memorial to the clergy and parishioners who have ministered and worshipped there since 1877. It is also a memorial to the Dowager 4th Marchioness of Londonderry without whose generosity the church might never have been built.
OUR LADY OF THE VISITATION CHURCH, Comber
Built 1869/1871 on ground donated to the church by the Dowager Lady Londonderry.
Refurbished in 1992 as a result of bomb damage.
Completely redesigned and refurbished in 2009/2010 under the design of Consarc Architects who have also completed restoration of the Windows and Stone Work in the Parish Church, St. Patrick’s, Newtownards.
The interior was completely stripped. Externally the Sacristy was demolished as was the Boiler House and Oil storage facility.
The external stone work was repaired and sections replaced using imported Scottish stone as Scrabo is no longer available. Pedestrian and flood lighting have been installed and disabled car parking provided. The grounds have been redesigned and reseeded in the vicinity of the Church.
The Impedimenta Details in the Stone Work have all been renewed.
Moving inside we have constructed a Balcony, something which was never previously there. Along the front of the Balcony we have decorative glass panels designed by Calderwood Glass depicting the Seven Sacraments:
Baptism, Eucharist, Reconciliation, Confirmation, Marriage, Holy Orders, Anointing of the Sick.
Chairs in the Balcony come from Long Island New York as they were less expensive than those locally manufactured.
[continued on next page – use pagelinks below]